Thursday, July 12, 2007

Insomnia, HP & more

Thankfully the big project is over! A big hooray for that. There were challenging system problems that made for a very long transistion and many long days/weekends for me but we've worked through it. The development team came through and we've been operating without any major problems for a couple of weeks now. So my next big thing for this project is planning a party for everyone that worked on it - should be fun and a great way to end it.

It's been really nice having a life again. I had forgotten what it was like to have a normal work load and work day and not bringing piles of work home. For a bit it almost felt abnormal sitting at my desk and having a moment to pause and not feeling overwhelmed. Oh, and the phone doesn't ring - that's just plain unbelievable.

Right after I finish the project, I get the insomnia again - grrrr - you would think with the stress gone that I would have no trouble sleeping but I did. It took me a bit to remember why I had this problem before - duh! The sleepless is related to a sinus infection and it wasn't that I wasn't sleeping but I couldn't stay asleep. And course once you're awake, you think of all kinds of things and there goes the sleepiness. Sleep deprivation makes me stupid and neurotic.

I took the day off yesterday, I wanted to catch up on sleep given the sleeping problems and of course catch the new Harry Potter movie - which I did. The movie was great - it was the best one yet and I wasn't the least bit distracted by that wasn't in the movie. Can't wait for the book to come out this month. A colleague is going to go see it in IMAX and I think I might try that some time, should be fun. Also stopped by Lowes and the nursery to pick up some pots and planting mix to transplant my orchids. I don't have the green thumb Smariek has but I haven't killed them yet, so I figured I would attempt at transplanting, to see if they flower again. Smariek manages to grow them with no effort whatsoever - they just grow like weeds in her house - amazing!

I need to add Transformers to the list of summer movies - getting great reviews.

I've given up on reading the Ludlum Bourne books - I got through the first 2 but I just can't keep up with the plot and the writing. And from what I can see of the books vs the movies, they're not even along the same lines, so I am through with Ludlum. Back to easy reading books for me. I've got a Dan Brown book laying around somewhere that I will start next or maybe the next HP book.

1 comment:

smariek said...

You haven't seen my orchids lately, they're in a sorry state. I think most will have to go. I'll try to salvage a couple of them, and then start over with brand new ones. Will need to work on that green thumb at the new house...