Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cap Karma

Last year, I inherited a lot of yarn - more like a car full of yarn. I needed to do something with it that represented the person they came from, decided on making caps for chemo patients. There are a couple of knitting groups at the airport, so I offered up yarn to anyone interested in making caps to donate. The community responded in a huge way and we made and donated about 125 hats -many of the knitters & crocheters used their own yarn for the cause.

We are now ready for round 2. With this round, I've started the blog "Cap Karma" and given our project a place to share their creative spirit. My close friends know that knitting and crocheting is not my creative outlet of choice but I've really come to enjoy it more through this project. And it's surprising to me how this project has become such a cause at work and with some friends.

I've got Smariek (pseudonym) not just knitting caps but helping with the Cap Karma blog. And TF is also working on some. Last year at work, ladies I only passingly knew would walk up to me and start talking about what they've seen and how they are so excited about the project they are working on. I was surprised to find out how my emails to a few had been flowing through the community.

I'm having trouble deciding on my first project - all this pressure! Really, I am not that good at either knitting or crocheting.....

No comments: