Friday, October 20, 2006

Walking shoes, shin splits and monkeys.

Overall not the best week I've ever had and the not worst either but I am glad it's over and tomorrow is a new day and next week a new slate.

I've been trying to keep up an exercise program - I've been brisk walking on a treadmill - I started about a month ago and for the first 3 weeks all went all - I managed to keep it up about 5 times a week for about 30-40 minutes. Last week my right leg started to hurt below the knee, never had that kind of pain before. Had to look it up but didn't know what to look up - it was suggested that maybe I was wearing the wrong kind of shoes - huh? Wrong kind of shoes - they are shoes you run in - Nikes at that - wrong kind of shoes? Well turns out that if you're a walker, running shoes can cause problems - still puzzled by this. They are well made well supported shoes..... Further research indicated that such pain is called shin splits and is known to be a problem with exercising on the treadmill and possible with wrong shoes. Derailed the exercise program for a week.

I have size 5.5 feet - any idea how hard it is to find everyday shoes in that size? Well it's even harder in the athletic shoe variety. I am sure the mall stores that specialize in athletic shoes would have that size and also charge 3 times more than they should for them. I found that to be true and didn't find anything in the standard places. I can't really tell the difference between the walking shoes and the running shoes, aside from what it says on the side of the box. There are definitely more of the running variety than the walking variety. Finally found some at the S department store in the mall - $30 (vs $80 in the mall specialty store) for a nice pair of reeboks - never had problems with reebok. BTW, what's with all the pink athletic shoes for grown women?

With the shin splits hurting less and a new pair of "walking" shoes, I am back to the exercise program. I am trying not to push as hard and go as fast.

Monkeys - should I talk about monkeys.... I will get into it a bit I suppose - what was so bad about this week? Well, work wasn't so great. What does that have to do with monkeys you ask. If you live in this country, you've definitely seen the ads by Career Builder about "working with monkeys" - they are actually quite funny. Early this year, Career Builder had a lot of ads at the airport with this campaign - so we had 6-8 foot tall monkeys on the walls with different puns - "We failed as a team but I blamed you when I told the boss", "Don't worry about your project while you're gone, I've already taken credit even before you've left"..... you get the idea. A lot of the coworkers have had opinions about the monkeys every where - it was definitely doing it's job of getting attention. So when I have bad days at work, I think about monkeys and jack asses (one tv ad refers to that as well) and well you get the idea. So do I think I work with monkeys? No, I don't. I just appreciate having it to laugh at when I have one of those days.



If you haven't seen the TV ads - you can find them here: http://www.careerbuilder.com/tv/

1 comment:

smariek said...

I don't know what the difference is between crosstrainers & tennis shoes, yet DH insists there is a difference, and he can look at a shoe and just know which type it is. Hmmm...

What you're supposed to do is try on the shoes for style/fit/size at the athletic shoe boutique, then order it online for much less.